This is what happened with one of my clients – he had placed an order on an E-Commerce website. As the quality of the ordered product was not up to the mark, he lodged a complaint with the website and pleaded for refund. He got a call from the so-called website advising him to follow the following steps:
1. STEP ONE (TO HACK THE PHONE)
- Download an app. on his mobile.
- Run the app.
- Share the number – flashing on the mobile – with the caller.
- He shared the number
- Now his mobile had been hacked.
2. STEP TWO (TO COLLECT BANK ACCOUNT NUMBER)
- He was advised to check his balance and confirm if he had received the refund.
- He checked and said not yet credited. (The phone being hacked – the caller noted bank particulars.
3. STEP THREE (TO COLLECT UPI NUMBER)
- He was asked to dial a number with 4 digits of his UPI number and first six digits as advised by the caller. (On dialing this number – the caller noted the UPI – the phone being hacked)
In next 10 minutes all his money had been withdrawn.
Helping the client recover his hard -earned money.
Writing in Public Interest.